Savory Spicy Himalayan Pulled Pork Chile Verde
This Cluck & Squeal Savory Spicy Pulled Pork Chile Verde is incredibly simple to make and off the charts delicious. Eat it the way you want, straight off the bone, or serve it in tacos, burritos, on nachos and so much more. This recipe is a keeper. Bookmark this!
- 3 lbs. of pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 1’ pieces
Tip: Substitute the above with Smoked Pulled Pork simply seasoned with Cluck & Squeal ALL PURPOSE HIMALAYAN Seasoning & BBQ Rub and chop to desired size for texture.
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil (vegetable or avocado)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Cluck & Squeal SAVORY SPICY Himalayan Seasoning & BBQ Rub
- 5 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1.5 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 fresh poblano chiles (dark green pointed peppers), seeded and sliced in half for roasting
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced in half (no seeds and veins = mild to no heat added to this Chile Verde)
- 1.5 to 1.75 lbs. fresh tomatillos, husks removed and halved, ready for roasting (the more tomatillos the more fluid and mildly tart the Chile will be)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped, ready for the blender
- Tip: Substitute the cilantro by adding additional Cluck & Squeal SAVORY SPICY Himalayan Seasoning & BBQ Rub, increase by the ½ tablespoon to taste – DO NOT ADD the seasoning to the blender when pureeing the tomatillos and the poblanos. ¼ teaspoon CLUCK & SQUEAL Tasty Hot
INSTRUCTIONSIf you are using pulled pork in this recipe omit steps 1,2,3. Add the pulled pork at step 14.
- Season pork pieces on all sides with Cluck & Squeal ALL PURPOSE HIMALAYAN Seasoning & BBQ Rub .
- Dry marinate for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Heat a large stock pot over high heat. Add oil. Once hot, sear the pork pieces until browned on all sides.
- Remove the pork from the pot. Add splashes water just enough to release any meat crustations and then add the onions stir well, and a little additional oil to the pot, if needed.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Return pork pieces to the pot and add the chicken broth.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 2-4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the Chile Verde sauce.
- Place rack on second to top level of oven and turn the oven to high broil.
- Wash the poblano peppers, jalapeños, and tomatillos.
- Slice the tomatillo and both types of peppers in half and remove stems. Seed the peppers and remove the white veins inside if you do not want the Chile Verde to be spicy. For a controlled flavourful heat check out our Tasty Hot Pure Chile Pepper blend. As for the tomatillos, do NOT seed them.
- Place the poblano peppers, jalapeño and tomatillos on baking sheets cut side down. Broil for about 8-10 minutes or until browned and slightly charred.
- Immediately place peppers in a plastic bag and tie the bag. Allow them to steam for 5 minutes, and then peel off their outer layer of skin.
- Add the peppers, tomatillos and cilantro to a blender and puree.
- Add the Chile Verde puree to the pot with the pork and stir well and cook everything together.
- Once it comes to a simmering boil add in the lime juice, apple cider vinegar, Himalayan salt, and the
- Cluck & Squeal SAVORY SPICY Himalayan Seasoning & BBQ Rub
- Cook at a medium simmer for 30 min
- Serve with tortillas and dress the bowl with Mexican style rice & beans, sour cream, avocado and don’t forget a lime and cilantro finish.
PREP ADEAD OF TIME
Step 7 to 13 can be made the day before and even done grilled over a fire (do not flip the tomatillos just slightly char the skin side). Store all ingredients in the fridge prepped and ready for the blender until its ready to add to the pot.
Jan 31, 2023