Cluck & Squeal New Orleans BBQ Shrimp Pizza
The Cluck & Squeal New Orleans BBQ Shrimp Pizza! The flavours from the Savory Spicy Seasoning & BBQ Rub brings back fond memories of my time in New Orleans, especially the eating part.
This pizza offers notes of flavour built with a rich Savory Spicy butter foundation accompanied with hints of citrus from the dollops of lemon whipped ricotta cheese. Simple topping preparation with an unforgettable bite of satisfaction the Cluck & Squeal Savory Spicy Seasoning & BBQ Rub is known for, and now built into an incredible pizza with a New Orleans flair!
PIZZA SERVING SIZE:
Approximate to measure for 1 – 13 to 14” personal size pizza
- Olive Oil– enough to brush the top of the crust area before baking.
- ¼ cup approximately of the New Orleans Butter Sauce recipe on back of label
- 1/3 cup sauteed grated zucchini with Olive Oil, 2 garlic cloves sliced length wise and seasoned to taste once softened with our Cluck & Squeal Himalayan Seasoned Salt (see our You Tube video once to watch me use zucchini flowers as a replacement when in season)
- 6 to 8 whole raw shrimp peeled & deveined cut length wise making 12 to 16 halves. This will allow the shrimp to cook fully and be the correct texture on the pizza. Use a little leftover room temperature butter sauce to coat the raw shrimp before adding to the top of the pizza.
- ½ to ¾ cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1/3 cup approximately of the lemon whipped ricotta cheese. Start with 1/2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and mix until smooth. You are trying to achieve a subtitle lemon flavour, too much will overpower the pizza.
- 1 large egg beaten for drizzling on the pizza.
Step 1 – Remove pizza dough from refrigerator 1 hour before making the pizza, keep covered. Room temperature dough is ideal.
Step 2 – Coat the dough ball in flour for handling and spread out by hand preferably or minimally with a rolling pin and take over by hand. Try not to over work the dough forcefully, doing so will change the texture. Shaping the dough by hand will help keep the dough airy when baked to a crust.
Step 3 – Set yourself up the way you prefer to build the pizza. Once you have spread the dough to your desired size and thickness. Flour the counter surface lightly and top the pizza as quickly as possible. Building the pizza on the counter will require you to pick up the pizza with a metal pizza peel (pizza shovel or scooper). This method could be difficult for some, no worries, try building the pizza right on a lightly floured wood pizza peel. Top the pizza quickly and refrain from getting any moisture on the wood peel. Keeping the peel dry with a little bit of a shake will allow for an easy slide off right onto the stone floor of the wood oven.
Step 4 – Brush the perimeter top side of the dough with olive oil. Once baked you will have no flour on the surface of the crust with a beautifully baked finished.
Step 5 – Spread the Savory Spicy New Orleans butter sauce on the base of the dough keeping it away from the outer crust area approximately 1”.
Step 6 – Top the pizza with the sauteed grated zucchini (or zucchini flowers) evenly but less in the centre. Less weight in the centre of the pizza will make it easier to pick it up if you are using a metal pizza peel (pizza shovel or scooper).
Step 7 – Spread the grated fontina cheese as even as possible but lessening some cheese in the centre. Gravity will take over when baking and it will all melt and spread perfectly. The cheese seals and locks in the flavours of the butter sauce and zucchini.
Step 8 – Top the pizza with the raw sliced peeled shrimp. On most of the pizza combinations I place the proteins on top of the cheese. The fats from the cheese and protein cook well together in this way.
Step 9 – Place quarter size dollops of the lemon whipped ricotta cheese around the perimeter of the pizza and dime size working toward the middle of the pizza. Do not over top this pizza with this ingredient. Spread out the dollops about 2.5” to 3” apart. When it melts it will spread, too much will put the flavour and texture out of balance.
Step 10 – Spoon and drizzle the beaten egg over the pizza as evenly as possible.
Step 11 – For a wood oven pizza the stone floor should be at a 650F to700F. Use a laser thermometer to get the floor temperature. If you have a stone oven your dome temp may be 850F to 900F. Add enough wood for a decent fire to illuminate the oven when baking the pizza. We prefer to bake this pizza for 2 minutes, so the items cook well together, and the crust is the right colour and texture.
Step 12 – Bake the pizza.
Step 13 – Remove the pizza and place your pizza on a cooling rack for 1 minute before cutting.
Step 14 – Cut the pizza.
Smash a slice!
Aug 31, 2023