2016 Austin EggFest
The Cluck and Squeal crew would like to thank BBQ Outfitters and everyone who came by the 2016 Austin EggFest. It was great to see some old faces and meet some new ones as well. We thank everyone who stopped by the C&S tent to try our offerings and talk with us about our love for BBQ. The response was great and we were overwhelmed with the people of Austin' support and hospitality, Thank you.
Cluck and squeal would also like to thank Franklins BBQ and Aaron Franklin for taking the time out of his busy schedule to chat with us about all think BBQ, as well as John Mueller. Is was great to to see and taste some of the best BBQ we have ever had.
As promised here are our recipes from the event.
Cluck & Squeal Pork Belly aka 'Pig Candy'
1. Cluck & Squeal Rib Formula Seasoning
2. Pork Belly (from a local butcher of your choice, ask to have the pieces sliced approx. 1/4" thick)
3. Pure Canadian Maple Syrup
1. Generously season strips of Pork Belly with C&S Rib Formula, allow to sit for 20 mins or longer if possible.
2. Lay Pork Belly Strips on grill at approx. 350F/180C.
3. Cook for approximately 12 - 15 minutes (we did 7 minute per side).
4. After initial cook pull strip off the grill onto a large board and light bast with Maple Syrup and gently coat again with C&S Rib Formula.
5. Flip over strip and repeat above for other side.
6. Return Strip to grill and gently raise temperature to 400F/200C, this done to help build that nice sticky caramelized bark.
7. Cook for approx 5 - 7 minutes (we did 3 minute per side).
Cluck & Squeal Bold Rib-eye steaks
1. Cluck & Squeal Bold Browning Seasoning
2. Rib-eye or any preferred cut of steak to your preference
Remove your Steak of choice from the fridge to allow it to warm up to room temperature. This may take a couple of hours unless you are comfortable with the sous vide method, which is reaching a desired temperature with the assistance of temperature controlled water and the meat placed in a vacuum bag and submerged.
Lightly coat your 1" - 1.5" thick Ribeye steak or steak of choice with olive or grape seed oil
Apply the Cluck & Squeal Bold Browning to just cover both sides of the Steak well.
Allow 30 to 40 minutes for the steak to marinate. Flip the steak when half this time has elapsed and try not to remove any of the rub.
Preheat your grill to 550 degrees for 10min and ensure your grill is clean from your last cook.
Steady the temperature anywhere between 525-550 degrees and apply cooking oil such as olive or grape seed to the grill with multiple folded paper towels.
Place your steak on the grill and do not flip for a minimum of 1.5 min. The object is to sear the steak and achieve a crust on the surface of the meat before flipping the steak. The Cluck & Squeal Bold Browning excels when you achieve a browned slightly charred minimally blackened appearance. When this is achieved on both sides you are on the right track to a wonderful steak. Some grills with not enough searing power may need 2 - 3 minutes before flipping.
Finish your steak centre as desired once you have seared both sides. Lowering your temperature of the grill maybe an option for some with high end bbq's or charcoal fired grills. Lowering the temperature with allow you to not blacken the surface and to keep the desired taste and appearance where it should be with the Cluck & Squeal Bold Browning. I have never lowered the temperature under 450 degrees if that helps. I sometimes have the option moving my steak to a higher rack if my crust is perfect and my desired centre needs more time.
Optional finish - lightly baste one side with melted butter immediately when plated
NO OPTION! - REST THAT STEAK! Minimum rest 5 minutes before cutting.
Cluck & Squeal Bold Cat Fish
1. Cluck & Squeal Bold Browning Seasoning
2. Cat Fish Fillets from your local Fish Monger.
1. Generously season fillet with C&S Bold Browning seasoning
2. Heat grill to searing temperature approx. 375F/190C - 400F/200C.
3. Cook for approximately 5-7 minutes per side depending on thickness of fish. Use a probe to avoid over cooking, when fillet has reached and internal temp 135F/70C - 145F/63C remove from grill.
4. Cover fillets immediately with foil wrap and allow to stand for 3 - 5 minutes.
BOLD TEXAS Sour Cream Dip
8 - 10 ears corn, in their husks
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 tablespoon Cluck & Squeal Bold Browning Rub
2 Tablespoon Hot sauce of your choice
1 x 500 ML Sour Cream
Juice of 2 limes
1 cup cotija cheese or feta cheese
Pre soak Corn ears in water or at least 2 hours prior to cooking.
Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Grill the corn in their husks until the husks start to blacken, about 3-5 minutes per side.
In a large mixing bowl, mix in sour cream, and lime juice, with hotcause. Mix thoroughly. You can taste the mixture for level of desired heat, mild, medium or hot.
Add in Cluck & Squeal Bold Browning Rub while mixing.
When finished empty mixture into squeeze bottle(s) and refrigerate.
After corn is finished, peel and remove husks.
Rub the butter all over the corn.
Squeeze Bold Browning mixture in a z1g zag motion across the corn from husk to tip.
Garnish with the cotija cheese.
More Recipes to follow. Happy Grilling!
May 04, 2016